« Home | Time to throw away your keyboard? » | Devil's Business dictionary: Analysis, Delegate & ... » | Texas Hold'em Marketing part 4 - Decision Making » | Virtuoso violin vs Juggling in Covent Garden » | Linkage: » | Texas Holdem Marketing part 3: Research » | Occam’s razor and the Business Corollary: » | Business card dictionary: Spreadsheet / Risk / Tim... » | Texas holdem Marketing: Part 2 » | Texas Hold’em marketing »

Advertising then and now: Coca Cola

I have been doing some advertising anthropology on the web as research for a premise I had that body copy in advertising is dying. Have a look at the latest coke print ads for example:

























Pure concept and no need for explanation. Compare that with a typical coke ad from 1939.

























This style continued for much of the 40's 50's and beyond and it was my premise that only in the last decade or so have we become more interested in the concept than the sale.

Until I came across this ad from the 20's:

























Pure visual concept no need for explanation and none given seems like they might have been as cerebral almost a century ago as we like to think we are today. Definitely opened my eyes a little. I'll see what else I can dig up.